1. Home
  2.  → 
  3. Civil Litigation
  4.  → You can ask the judge to require another party to act if you prevail in a lawsuit

You can ask the judge to require another party to act if you prevail in a lawsuit

On Behalf of | Jan 19, 2021 | Civil Litigation

Civil lawsuits are useful tools for businesses dealing with contract disputes. However, some business owners and executives are reticent to take legal action after a contract dispute. Those unfamiliar with how the courts handle such disputes might wrongfully assume that the only option available to them is to make a financial claim against the other party.

Suing someone for money could very well end a professional relationship. Thankfully, you don’t have to ask for financial resources if you go to the courts for help with a contract dispute. Instead, you can ask the courts to order specific performance from the other party.

Specific performance can be an ideal solution for a contract dispute

If you want to keep doing business with the other party despite the breach of contract that has affected your business, seeking specific performance during a contract dispute may be the best resolution possible.

If the court rules in your favor, it can issue a judgment ordering the other party to perform the duties outlined in the contract and possibly to take additional steps to address the breach of contract.

Instead of having to pay money, the other party may have an obligation to do what they should have done under the terms of the contract originally. You will establish that you won’t accept non-performance, but you also demonstrate a willingness to work with the other party and be reasonable.

Addressing a breach of contract carefully is often critical for those who hope to preserve the professional relationship that they have with the other party involved. Good legal advice can make it easier to navigate this potentially fraught situation.