1. Home
  2.  → 
  3. Property Law
  4.  → What should you do about a dispute over a pool?

What should you do about a dispute over a pool?

On Behalf of | Dec 27, 2023 | Property Law

Handling a pool construction dispute can be challenging, but addressing the issue professionally and promptly to reach a satisfactory resolution is possible. First, you must determine if anything needs to be addressed urgently because of the risk of property damage.

Once you ensure there’s no risk of property damage, you must carefully examine the terms and conditions of the pool construction contract to understand both parties’ obligations and responsibilities. Ensure you are familiar with any warranties, guarantees or clauses regarding dispute resolution.

Document the issues

Make a detailed list of your problems or concerns with the pool construction. Take photos or videos to document any defects or incomplete work. Keep a record of all communication with the contractor, including emails, texts and phone call logs.

Communicate with the contractor

Reach out to the contractor and calmly discuss your concerns. Clearly explain your identified issues and ask for their input on resolving the dispute. It’s possible that the contractor is unaware of the problem or that there has been a miscommunication. Allow them to address and rectify the issues.

Propose a resolution

If the contractor acknowledges the issues, propose a resolution that you find acceptable. Check the contract to see what’s allowable according to your signed document. Some options for resolution might include asking the contractor to complete the work as agreed, fix any defects or provide a partial refund. Be prepared to negotiate and reach a compromise, if possible and appropriate.

Put it in writing

If the contractor agrees to a resolution, document the agreement in writing and have both parties sign it. This written agreement can be evidence if the dispute escalates or the contractor does not fulfill their obligations.

If the contractor is unwilling to resolve the dispute or if you suspect fraudulent behavior, consider filing a complaint with your state’s contractor licensing board or consumer protection agency. Other legal action is also possible, so seeking legal guidance as soon as possible is generally wise.